close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Frequently Asked Questions


The main entrance to the courthouse is unlocked Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. unless closed for a holiday or due to bad weather. For the safety of the public and all those inside the courthouse, all visitors to the courthouse must go in through the main entrance and go through security screening. All other courthouse doors are locked 24/7 and can only be accessed by government employees and officials with proper security clearance.
Unfortunately, no.  Counties in Maine do not hold Vital Records. There are two options to track down your birth certificate. The first option would be to request one from the town office where your parents were living when you were born. If you’re not sure which town, the second option is to request your birth certificate from the Maine Department of Human Services and Vital Records (287-3181). Fees for copies of a certified copy of your birth certificate vary.
Unfortunately, no.  As stated above, counties in Maine do not hold Vital Records. You can request one from the Maine Department of Human Services and Vital Records (287-3181). If the date of death is prior to 1923, you may want to try the Maine State Archives at 287-5790.
Unfortunately, no. Divorces are handled in District Courts, which are State courts. The County does not have or retain any information handled by State courts.  The District Court assigned to Knox County can be reached at 596-2240.

Since District and Superior Courts are both State courts, you will call the Clerk of Courts for that information: 596-2240 (District Court) or 594-2576 (Superior Court).

Unfortunately, no, because counties in Maine do not hold Vital Records. Depending on what kind of information you’re looking for, it is often easier to start your research on a genealogical website or, if you are not comfortable doing internet research, there may be a genealogical library or historical society near you that can assist and point you in the right direction. (One free website is  Your local town library may also be able to help you figure out the best way to start.
The best place to start is by calling your town office since both the town and the State have different requirements for permits and licenses. You can also call the Maine Secretary of State Bureau of Corporations at 624-7740.
First, go to the Employment tab on the website.  The job application is on the Employment page on this website. You can also request that an application be mailed or emailed to you by calling the Administration Office at 207-594-0420 or by sending an email to Wendy Galvin at Paper copies are also available at the Administrative Office. All applications must be returned to the County’s Administrative Office at 62 Union Street in Rockland. You can either hand deliver your application, email it, fax it, or mail it to us. If you are applying for more than one position, a separate application must be completed for each position.  More information is available under the Employment tab on this website.
Applications are only acknowledged when the County has officially advertised to fill a position. Original applications are kept at the Administrative office and copies are sent to the respective department manager who has the opening. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview or another step in the application process.
If you have applied for an advertised opening, you may call the Administrative Assistant to the County Administrator at 207-594-0420 to check on the status of your application.
The State of Maine Disposition of Records requires that we keep your application on file for two years. However, an application is required for each advertised position that you want to apply for.  We do not go back to applications on file to fill future openings.
The current Clerk of Courts is Eileen Bridges. You can call 596-2240 (District) or 594-2576 (Superior) for more information. The County itself does not have a County Clerk, since Knox County adopted a Charter in 2005 and now has an appointed County Administrator.  The County Charter is available on this website.
The three County Commissioners are listed under the Government tab on this website. You may click on a name to send an email.

County tax abatements are now handled by a Board of Assessment Review. Instructions for applying for an abatement, as well as the application form, are available on this website. You may also call 594-0420 for information or to have the information emailed or mailed to you.

Click here to go directly to the Tax Abatement section of the County website

The County does not have a tax assessor. Assessing is done at the town level. You will need to call your town office to find out who their tax assessor or assessor’s agent is since each town hires/contracts separately for assessing services.

Commission meetings and budget committee meetings are all public meetings, so anyone can attend. They are generally held in the Commission Hearing Room on the ground floor of the courthouse located at 62 Union Street in Rockland.  All public meetings are announced in advance.

Counties in Maine do not have public works departments. If you have a problem with a town-owned road, please contact your town office. Comments regarding State roads should be relayed to the Maine Department of Transportation, Mid-Coast Region 2 Office at 207-624-8200.