close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

U.S. Passport Services

This Probate Office now provides U.S. Passport Services

The Knox County Probate Office, located on the first floor of the Knox County Courthouse, 62 Union Street, Rockland Maine is accepting U.S. Passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State. U.S. citizens planning international travel may apply for their Passports in the Probate Office between 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday.  (This service is not available on Wednesday) No appointment is necessary and the office is handicapped accessible. For application forms, information on documentation required, fees, and a wealth of other Passport and international travel information, visit the official website for Passport information: You may also contact the Probate Office at (207) 594-0427. While you don't need to make an appointment, calling ahead of time is always advisable.


Proof of US Citizenship:

Certified copy of your birth certificate (including children under the age of 16), which must have:

  • Your parents' names
  • A raised seal
  • File date
If you do not have a birth certificate, an expired passport is acceptable as long as it is not damaged.

Proof of Identity:

A current valid photo ID (military, state, or driver's license). If your license is for a state other than Maine, you need a second form of ID.

Passport Photo:

Exciting news .............we are ready to take your passport photo!  The cost for taking your photo is $15.00.  

Payment Method:

  • Your payment to the US DEPT OF STATE  must be a check or money order.
  • The fee for processing is $35, which can be paid in cash, check or debit/credit card.

  • Passport Book: $130 for adults 16 and over  $100 for children under 16
  • Passport Card: $30 for adults 16 and over   $15 for children under 16
Other information:

  • Expedited delivery is an extra fee of $60.
  • If the passport is for a child, BOTH parents must be present unless there is a notarized affidavit (Form DS:3053) attached with a copy of the identification used for the notary.